So here we are, the third day of 2015, and it’s about time I posted something here.
I have been in a reading slump for weeks and weeks, but I was very happy when this baby broke through that:
Review coming soon!
As is customary at this time of year, I thought I would share my reading goals for 2015.
- I have set my Goodreads challenge at 54 books. For 2014 I had set my target at 72 books (6 books a month) but I know I go through reading slumps and sometimes read nothing for weeks … I only managed to read 53 books in 2014, so I thought I would aim for just one more and have set my target to 54 for 2015.
- Read more diversely. I thought I did read quite diversely but when I looked at my stats for 2014, the overwhelming majority of authors I read were from the UK or USA. I would like to expand my reading horizons a little this year, and have set the following challenges for each month (I am allowing myself to combine challenges where possible):
- read 1 classic
- read 1 book by a male author
- read 1 book by a female author
- read 1 book by a non UK/USA author
- read 1 book that has won or been nominated for a prize
- read 1 book from my kindle
- Complete the BookRiot Read Harder challenge. I am allowing myself to combine this challenge with those above!
- Read more books than I buy! I’m not entirely sure how many physical books I own as I’m not convinced my Goodreads account is up to date. I intend to correct this over the next couple of days, and I will update this post with the (shameful!) number of unread books I own. I intend to finish the year with less books on my shelves. I don’t tend to hang on to books once I’ve read them, unless they are absolute 5 star keepers, so I will continue to pass read books on to friends if I think they will enjoy them, find somewhere to trade them in or give them to charity. Ok, I’ve spent the day sorting all my books and updating Goodreads. I am ashamed about these numbers, but here goes. Don’t judge me! I own 437 physical books that I have not read. This is ridiculous. Now, I know there is absolutely no point in even pretending that I will not buy any books this year – just not gonna happen. But I would like to get this number down, so I’ll start by aiming to having 400 unread physical books by the end of the year. I’m really not sure if this is achievable, but we will see. I’m not good at maths, but I guess if I limit myself to buying one book for every 10 I read, that should help! I also have 288 unread books on my Kindle. These don’t bother me so much because I can’t see them, but I do most definitely need to read more from my Kindle, and so I have added in another challenge to read 1 Kindle book every month. Here’s hoping!
- Engage more in the book-twittersphere, instagram, youtube and blogging world. Yes.